Monday, January 27, 2014

Another trip north....even farther....because I wasn't paying attention


Hoar Frost on a cold December day
Take two as they say in the record business.  I typed this blog the other day but blogspot felt the need to not publish it.  You have to love technology.  Hopefully I can re-write it exactly the same only totally different.

Cabin fever has been setting in Anchorage for me.  The weather has been warmer.  It's been in the 40's a couple of days compared.  Much warmer than the chilly weather back home.  The snow has melted some and it's been raining.  Saturday was a beautiful day.  I saw the sun for the first time in a couple of weeks but the roads were covered with black ice.  I drove  around Lake Hood near the airport.  Lake Hood Seaplane Base is the largest seaplane base in the world.  The lake itself was half frozen over with standing water on the ice.  Not really conducive to taking off with either floats or skis.  Hundreds of bush planes were parked around the lake and the inlets like a marina with bush wheels, skis and floats.  Most of the planes were covered up for winter weather.

The prior Monday was a holiday and given that the roads in Anchorage were dry, I decided to head north to explore.  I headed north through Wasilla, Willow and up to Talkeetna.  I wanted to see if Denali was out.  The giant mountain was hid behind the clouds the last time I drove to Talkeetna.  Unfortunately, it was the same result today although the drive was nice.  Driving through Talkeetna and up through Trapper Creek, I came to the two viewing areas for the giant mountain.  They were closed for winter but seeing a sign for Cantwell, a town that a book I was reading was based in, the decision was made to drive to Cantwell.

Cantwell is a whistle stop town two thirds of the way between Anchorage and Fairbanks.  The small village of about 200 people consists of a gas station by the highway and a cross road.  The road to the right, the Denali Highway, is a 136 mile gravel road through the wilderness.  It is closed in winter and according to research doesn't have any houses on it.  Plans are made to drive it this summer and camp as the whole route is owned by the state. The turn to the left took me into Cantwell which consisted of a dead end road, a roadhouse by the railroad tracks, a fishing guide business and bush plane business.  After briefly exploring the small village it was time to head back home.  Pulling back out onto the Parks Highway toward Anchorage the first sign I passed said Anchorage 214 miles.  214 miles!  I hadn't realized the distance while driving north.  The foour hour drive home went quickly through the valley between the tall mountains.  The road was covered with snow this far north but the day stayed lighter much longer than my previous northern journey.

The days are getting lighter sooner and staying light later.  When I leave work at five it's still dusk now so it's a good feeling that spring is coming.  I can't wait until summer and the chance to explore Alaska more.

"Your life is a journey" I Peter 1:18


Bush plane in Cantwell



No comments:

Post a Comment